Good oral hygiene is required to have healthy teeth and gums. Oral hygiene should begin early on, even before a baby’s teeth come in, requiring a daily commitment. Developing good dental habits can lead to having a beautiful smile. And who does not want that?
On the flip side, poor hygiene leads to unhealthy teeth and gums. If you have not taken care of your teeth, the older you get, the more self-conscious you could become. This is when cosmetic dentistry procedures may benefit you. It focuses on improving the appearance of your teeth, which can also improve your overall health.
Cosmetic dentistry has been on the rise in the last few years and is more popular than ever. The procedures are meant to help realign a person’s smile while improving their aesthetic appearance. It can help boost self-esteem and make you feel more comfortable around people you usually would not. That is why caring for your porcelain crowns, veneers, and bridges is extremely important. It can ensure they last as long as possible while still looking good. Your smile is an investment.
What is the difference between porcelain crowns, veneers, and bridges?
- Porcelain crowns, also known as caps, are placed over an existing tooth. They protect and restore the shape of a tooth when fillings do not solve the problem.
- Porcelain veneers are thin shells that are custom-fit to cover your teeth. Once they are put in and bonded to the surface of your teeth, you cannot remove them.
- Porcelain bridges are used to fill in the gap for a missing tooth or teeth. They are false teeth held in place by the teeth that surround the missing tooth or teeth.
When either of these cosmetic dental procedures is used, they still need diligent hygiene to keep them looking great. Here are some tips for practicing daily so that your smile continues to shine bright.
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth. Strongly pigmented foods and beverages such as coffee, wine, tea, tomato sauces, or berries will eventually stain your teeth. If you have trouble avoiding these, you should brush them immediately after ingesting them or at least rinse with water in between what you have consumed.
- Use whitening non-abrasive toothpaste. You should use a dentist-recommended toothpaste to help keep your teeth healthy and white. Abrasive toothpaste can, in time, wear away the material used to bond the veneers to the teeth. This could leave them more susceptible to damage and staining.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Continue to follow a daily dental regimen to keep your teeth healthy and bright. This includes keeping up with your scheduled checkups and post-maintenance.
- Be gentle with them. Since porcelain crowns, bridges, and veneers are breakable, you should avoid biting on hard surfaces or even brushing too hard. Using a soft bristle toothbrush can help prevent the gums from receding, which would make it easier for veneers to fall out.
- Stay healthy. Since specific health issues can affect your teeth, it is important to take care of yourself. Staying on top of your overall health can ensure that other conditions do not affect your teeth.
- Limit smoking and drinking. Not only are these harmful to your overall health, but both can also limit the lifespan of your porcelain crowns, bridges, and veneers.
- Use a mouthguard. If you participate in sports or grind your teeth at night, it would be wise to use a mouthguard. This can help protect your teeth from being damaged.
A cosmetic dentist is responsible for various procedures such as teeth whitening, veneers, bridges, implants, and porcelain crowns, just to name a few. Although cosmetic dentistry is usually an elective rather than a necessity, some procedures can provide therapeutic benefits. An improved appearance does make you feel good about yourself, therefore, improving your quality of life. There are other advantages to having cosmetic dental work done.
- The pain and recovery time is much less when compared to other cosmetic procedures.
- It can help protect you against future dental and health issues.
- Cosmetic dentistry is affordable.
If you are now thinking, “Is there a dentist near me I can speak with concerning cosmetic dental procedures?” YES, there is! At Guilliot Dental, you will be treated like family while receiving top-rated service. They offer a full scope of general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry. Contact their Lafayette or Broussard office today to make an appointment. The staff at Guilliot Dental will be waiting to help restore your natural smile.